Farm Manager Job Description
Connolly Ranch Education Center
Connolly Ranch Education Center seeks an experienced Farm Manager who will be responsible for day-to-day upkeep, maintenance and repair of the farm facilities, including animals, gardens, trails and buildings, in a manner that is safe and appropriate for providing hands-on, farm-based educational programs. Connolly Ranch Education Center is a nonprofit organization providing farm-based environmental education to over 10,000 children and adults each year on its farm in Napa, California. The Farm Manager reports to the Executive Director.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to environmental education and sustainable farming.
- Experience with livestock and animal husbandry including breeding management and routine health care.
- Experience with carpentry, plumbing, electrical and other facilities maintenance skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing and supervising staff and volunteers, especially with a variety of learning styles or experience levels.
- Willingness to do what it takes to perform emergency repairs when needed. Creativity and flexibility in finding and implementing solutions with facilities and maintenance challenges.
- Flexibility to provide on-duty coverage on weekends and/or evenings as needed and arranged.
- Clean DMV record and valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to work closely and collaborate with a wide variety of people.
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Basic computer proficiency and ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform strenuous outdoor tasks related to ranch maintenance and construction.
- Experienced preferred with organic gardening, biodynamic farming, and permaculture practices.
- Maintains and improves the ranch facilities and utility systems in a safe, functional and attractive manner consistent with organizational values and available budget:
- Facilities include: buildings, garden (including beds and irrigation), animal shelters, gates and fences, trails and outdoor play/education spaces
- Utilities include: well, irrigation, drip systems, overall water system and drainage and plumbing systems; electrical systems, appliances, and gas; waste management and disposal systems including trash, recycling, and toilets; and fire safety systems including fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, woodstoves and chimneys.
- Identifies and performs all necessary maintenance of the above as per a schedule created by you and the rest of the management team.
- Participates in annual health and safety inspections; implements changes as recommended or required.
- Supervises construction of new buildings and facilities.
- Facilities and garden maintenance/development:
- Maintains current work plan and schedule for all facilities in collaboration with the rest of the management team.
- Support development of garden plan in collaboration with educators to ensure optimal integration of the garden into our educational programs.
- Supervises ranch hands, volunteers and staff on projects and daily chores.
- Manages the annual facilities expense budget
- Purchases/orders and maintains in good working order an inventory of all necessary maintenance supplies and tools with an emphasis on reused and recycled materials.
- Manage and maintain composting program
- Maintain and repair garden beds, hose bibs, irrigation, and plumbing in the garden.
- Animal health and welfare:
- Responsible for monitoring health and balance of all livestock (goats, sheep, bees, chickens, ducks, pigs, donkeys, rabbits, geese, miniature horse) at Connolly Ranch in a manner consistent with our mission.
- Monitors animal diets; orders and maintains feed, bedding and medical supplies; ensure animals are properly fed and conservation methods are used.
- Administers medication, if needed, to animals in a planned and consistent manner and seeks veterinary help as needed.
- Maintains vaccination schedule and official records on livestock health and activities.
- Ensures all animal housing and enclosures are clean, safe and maintained for educational program access and interaction.
- Organizes and implements yearly breeding, birthing, hatching and culling schedules in coordination with Ranch educational programs.
- Collaborates with staff regarding activity on the Ranch:
- Leads or assists volunteer groups as needed.
- Prepares Ranch for programs and events as needed.
- Trains and orients all staff and volunteers on proper use/treatment of:
- tools and machinery,
- animals (including daily animal chores),
- grounds and facilities, as needed.
Must be available to work some nights and weekends, especially during events.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary history, and list of 1 personal and 2 professional references. Be sure to add a short description of your farming, facilities, animal or managerial background in the email to: email@example.com with subject: Farm Manager Position. Preference for pdf files. Pertinent questions or clarifications welcomed. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Position to be filled as soon as the right candidate is identified.
$45,000-50,000 and commensurate with experience.
Connolly Ranch provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.