Nature-based Early Childhood Educator at Connolly Ranch
Position Summary: Connolly Ranch Education Center seeks a passionate, playful, creative, and energetic Early Child Educator for our outdoor, nature-based programs for children ages 2-6. The ideal candidate is confident leading large groups of children (15-30) with a background that includes prior working experience with farm animals, organic gardening, hiking, cooking, art and developing activities that engage young children in innovative and meaningful experiences in nature.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and teach nature-based, developmentally appropriate programming in conjunction with other members of the teaching team.
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Ensure the physical and emotional health, safety, and welfare of all participants.
- Create a welcoming family environment and effectively communicate with parents and caregivers about their children specifically and the program in general.
- Assist the Program Manager in assessing and tracking the development of individual children, assessing needs, and planning based on those needs.
- Train and supervise support staff in partnership with the Program Manager.
- Design and set up varied and seasonal outdoor learning spaces and environments.
- Plan for equipment and supply needs in collaborations with other staff.
- Manage daily routines including setup, cleanup and basic administrative duties.
- Participate in staff meetings and special events as appropriate to ensure connection with the rest of the staff and the community.
- Administrative duties such as sign-in sheets, social media, rosters, follow-up emails, etc.
- Be an active member of the Connolly Ranch team which includes being a representative for the ranch during certain events each year: Harvest Festival, Earth Night, Dinner at the Ranch, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- 12 or more units in Early Childhood Education or related field. Certification in Early Childhood Special Education preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- PC Proficiency and ability to work with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and other online programs
- 2 or more years of experience working with children ages 3-5 in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate program. Experience and/or familiarity of Reggio Emilia Approach preferred.
- Active interest in the natural world and a commitment to its use as a central and daily learning and play environment.
- Aptitude/comfort with learning basic natural history/ecology
- Personal commitment to an eco-friendly, green and sustainable lifestyle
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; ability to be a creative and flexible team player
- Able to speak clearly, positively, and effectively with both children and families.
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently and to creatively problem solve.
- Strong organizational, time-management, and multi-tasking abilities.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR, or willingness to pursue certification.
- Must pass complete background check.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical exertion indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions, and on difficult and varied terrain while supervising young children.
- Ability to stand, stoop, bend, kneel, pull, push, sit without back support, and lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally and 10-35 pounds frequently.
Must be able to work some nights and weekends depending on events.
Reports to: Program Manager
Compensation: $15-18 per hour
Approximate Hours: 10-30 hours per/week
Application Procedure: Send Early Childhood Education Application, resume, cover letter and names and contact information for three references to: Hylah Egeland, Program Manager hylah at connollyranch.org
Application Deadline: until position is filled